SCS Standards Releases Revised SCS Certification Standard for Biodegradability (SCS-104) for Public Review
SCS Standards is pleased to announce that version 7.0 of the SCS-104 Biodegradable Standard is now available for public review. Products within the scope of certification include liquid and powder products intended for disposal down the drain. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaners, degreasers, detergents, soaps, personal care products and cosmetics.
The Standard was first introduced in 1989 in response to the need to lessen the environmental impacts of waste materials at the end-of-life disposal stage by ensuring materials are readily biodegradable. More than three decades later, the demand for biodegradable products continues to grow, in addition to ensuring they are safer for humans and the environment.
Key Updates in Version 7.0
- Addition of key terminology (Section 3) for Acute Aquatic Toxicity, Bioaccumulation, Carcinogen, Mutagen, OCSPP, Persistence, Phosphates, Reproductive Toxicity, and US EPA Safer Choice Program,
- Updated Normative References (Section 4.1),
- Expanded Bill of Materials (BOM) requirements (Section 6),
- New criteria for restriction of Carcinogens (Section 10), Mutagens (Section 11), and Reproductive Toxins (Section 12),
- New criteria for restriction of Persistent, Bioaccumulative, and Toxic (PBT) substances (Section 13), and
- Editorial updates.
The public is welcome to provide comments on the version 7.0 updates to the Standard until November 30, 2023. To submit comments, please reach out to [email protected], or please visit https://www.scsstandards.org/standards/biodegradability-standard.
About SCS Standards
SCS Standards is a non-profit organization committed to the development of standards that advance the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Standards are developed in alignment with best practices and guidelines provided by internationally recognized bodies to ensure a robust, transparent, and collaborative approach. SCS Standards is an affiliate of Scientific Certification Systems, Inc., and is its official affiliate standards development body.
Send an email